Saturday, October 6, 2012

Restored Dansk Surfboard Tray

I thought you might like to see the Dansk Surfboard Tray after I worked on it. Original post: http://thrifting.blogspot.com/2012/03/dansk-teak-802-surfboard-tray.html



This is how it originally looked:


A few notes:
I originally thought that the staining was just wax - I now revise that as with most waxes, mineral spirits quickly dissolve paraffin and remove the staining and in this case it didn't work. It could be that these were candles that contained other additives and it's those compounds that resisted cleaning. Or it could be that the stains were actual bottles of some other products.
  1. After trying a couple of solvents I first neutralized and then lightly sanded. The sanding took care of all the staining.
  2. I finished up with a quick rub-down of Watco Danish Oil - Natural.
-- John

No comments:

Post a Comment