Monday, January 24, 2011

Kona Kai Volcano Tiki Fogcutter Mug


Slim pickings recently, but I did manage to score this unusual glazed ceramic vase mug for a dollar at an estate sale. It has the Kona Kai tiki figure molded on the front and "Kona Kai" on the back. It also has a "MOC Japan" sticker on the bottom. I believe this was made sometime in the 60s. I researched Kona Kai and the chain of motels (the most renown were the locations near Disneyland in California and Disneyworld in Florida) seem to have mostly disappeared by the mid to late 70's. There were also Kona Kai Motels in other states. While researching, I only found images of regular figural Tiki-shaped drink glasses, menus and post cards. I didn't find anything like this vase (I'm calling it a vase as there's a lip around the top and it's just not finished like your typical drink glass, but I could be mistaken). turns out this is a "Fogcutter" mug (see below). Something unusual to add to the tiki collection. This is the third tiki I've managed to find - previously I found a more recent tiki at Goodwill for a buck and a neat figural tiki glass at an estate sale for $3.

Back


Bottom


On the counter

Good luck in the hunt! John

Addendum:
I also posted photos on flickr and a user identified this object for me:
sputnikhousewares said:
Nice find Johnny! You've got yourself a Kona Kai Fogcutter mug from Philadelphia PA! The mug was made in Japan by the Otagiri Mercantile Company.
Kona Kai info: http://critiki.com/location/?loc_id=282 and mug info: http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=3332
Thanks to you sputnikhousewares!

No comments:

Post a Comment