Saturday, November 24, 2012

Heller Model 255 Deep Loaf/Pate Pan by Vignelli

As you've probably figured out by my previous post on Heller glass bakeware, I have an affinity for these Vignelli designed items and am on a constant lookout for them. Other than the two quart casserole with au gratin cover, I've only found a few incomplete bottom halves - my luck finally changed with this Model 255 Deep Loaf/Pate Pan, which I found at a local Goodwill.


This small, rectangular pan measures about 7" wide and 9" long. There were several square and rectangular dishes made for Heller - these actually pre-date the round casseroles by two years having been released in 1975 (the round in 1977 to be clear). I was quite excited to find this one intact, without any blemishes or chips.








From the catalog page, these are supposedly microwave-friendly, however if you want to keep any you find I wouldn't recommend cooking anything in them. I've had some discussions with my friend John Stephens, who turned me on to these, who seems to think they have become fragile with age. Since I've picked up 3 bottoms missing lids, I'm guessing that they are a bit brittle. In any case, I've grown to like them quite a bit so this one is a keeper.

-- John

No comments:

Post a Comment